Please find resources about Trauma Informed Design Research in support of my talk at the 2021 UX Australia Design Research conference and the online courses I have been running for Social Design Sydney.
Stand out Links :
- The Call for Trauma-Informed Design Research and Practice By Rachael Dietkus http://bit.ly/3EUBTNZ
- How to explore taboo topics with young people during design research https://www.ylabsglobal.org/blog/how-to-explore-taboo-topics-with-young-people-during-design-research
- Trauma and Design by Rachael Dietkus
- Practicing Without a License: Design Research as Psychotherapy by Tad Hirsch https://www.researchgate.net/publication/339844239_Practicing_Without_a_License_Design_Research_as_Psychotherapy
- Trauma Responsiveness in Participatory Research by Sarah Fathallah https://medium.com/@sft7la/trauma-responsiveness-in-participatory-research-ca88bee21d38
- Enabling Trauma Informed Approaches in Design, Ben Gill (looks at organisational conditions) https://www.loom.com/share/2a894f193cab43dea3a4364389e21a04
- Sharing power with survivors in UX research by Jenny H Winfield https://medium.com/hack-for-chayn/sharing-power-with-survivors-in-ux-research-e984c250fcb7
- Keeping survivors safe during UX research by Jenny H Winfield https://medium.com/hack-for-chayn/keeping-survivors-safe-during-ux-research-eb20c1ee1f04
- Centring Equity and Plurality in UX Research with Survivors by Jenny H Winfield https://medium.com/hack-for-chayn/centring-equity-and-plurality-in-ux-research-with-survivors-ccc87c9290e9
More Resources :
- What are payments like for people with lived experience collaborating with services today?
- Alba N. Villamil – The Ethical Researcher’s Checklist
- Trauma-Informed Website Resources — Melissa Eggleston
- Kelly Ann McKercher’s Trauma-Informed Practice and Design page
- The Future of Healing: Shifting From Trauma Informed Care to Healing Centered Engagement by Shawn Ginwright Ph.D.
- White Supremacy as Trauma Response by Resmaa Menakem
- Conducting Interviews with Survivors of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence
- The Science of How Our Minds and Our Bodies Converge in the Healing of Trauma on Brain Pickings
Resources relating to Indigenous Australians:
- The International Indigenous Design Charter has been created to serve as a living document for ongoing consideration for the best practice protocols when working with Indigenous knowledge in commercial design practice.
- Trauma & Loss : Guidelines for providing mental health first aid to an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person
- Dealing with Loss, Grief and Trauma : Seven Phases to Healing
Sarah Fathalah (from Think of Us) describes the process used for recruiting young people with Lived Experience for a design project. This was a design research project to understand the experiences of foster youth placed in institutional placements (group homes, psychiatric facilities, etc.). They organized an open call for participation through youth advisory boards and community partners, making sure they were clear in the recruitment language about expectations for how many young people would participate and on which basis they would be selected. After they selected participants, they providing a transparency memo video around the participant recruiting process once participants were selected.
Phoenix Australia – the national centre for post-traumatic mental health have great resources – and can provide training for organisations
- Practicing Without a License: Design Research as Psychotherapy by Tad Hirsch , April 2020, DOI: 10.1145/3313831.3376750Conference: ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2020), At: Honolulu, HI, USA.
- Appreciative Co-design: From Problem Solving to Strength-Based Re-authoring in Social Design by Tasman Munro at DRS16
- Vulnerable Research: Competencies for Trauma and Justice Informed Ethnography Taylor Paige Winfield